If you are from the USA or Canada and you want to visit another city or state, or if you are from another country and want to visit another country for a vacation, you might want to bring your BMX bike if you are a BMX rider. Of course, it is very fun to ride your BMX bike in a different city or country.
Many bikers worry about this. The reason why is because it seems impossible to fit your BMX bike on your seat in a plane or it is expensive to many BMX bike users. This article will help you to take your BMX bike on a plane.
Can you take a BMX on a plane? Yes! You can take your BMX bike on a plane. If you want to travel to another state or country, you can bring your BMX bike with you. However, you have to pay more when adding your BMX bike to your luggage. But there is a way to save money by taking apart the handlebar and headset of your bike. However, even if you don’t disassemble your bike, it can still be transported as luggage on a plane.
There are two reasons why most of the BMX users like to take their BMX bikes with them when they travel to another city or country:
- If you have your BMX bike with you, you can roam around freely and get a feel of the city or country you are visiting.
- It is much easier and cost-effective to ride on your BMX bike than catching an Uber or Grab, riding a train, or other public transportation if you want to go from a different location.
Yes! You are allowed to bring your BMX bike on the plane if you want to travel to another city or country. However, it can be expensive. If you want to save some money, you have to play smart when bringing your BMX bike on the plane. The airline company can charge you for a BMX bike on a plane in two ways:
- The airline company can charge you more than their rate per KG. This happens if you do not disassemble your BMX bike.
- However, if you disassemble your BMX bike and put it inside your bag, it will be accepted as standard luggage.
Can You Take Your BMX Bike On A Plane?
Many BMX bike users like to take their BMX bike on a plane to bring it with them when they travel to another city or country. However, these users do not perceive this as a practical approach because it is expensive. Don’t worry about it. I have made an article for you so that you can bring your BMX bike with you on a plane that will not put a hole in your pocket.
First of all, you must read and understand the airline policies when it comes to excessive luggage. You also have to look at their free chart, whether they charge per kg or item. If you want to avoid getting stuck with your BMX bike at the boarding counter, you must read the guidelines on the airline’s website.
Some airlines allow BMX to be included in your passenger’s luggage. A few airlines treat BMX bikes as an item and will have to separate a fee for the user to take it along. You should tell the airline company about your luggage having a bike. If you can disassemble your BMX bike and fit it inside your bag, it is fine to not inform the airline.
Some airline companies require BMX bike users to disassemble their BMX bike for them to be able to take along their BMX bike with them on the airplane. The easiest way of doing that is to take the headset and handlebar apart. Then you can submerge it inside a bag. The bags that you can use are:
- Hockey Bag
- Bike Bag
- Bike Box
- Golf Bag
- Cardboard Box
How To Disassemble Your BMX Bike To Take It On A Plane?
Some airlines give you clear instructions for disassembling and packaging your BMX bike for transportation. If you found that guideline, you must follow it. However, let me still give you my own self-help guide that is based on my and my friends’ experiences.
- First, you must remove the pedals of your BMX bike when disassembling it.
- It is essential to reduce the pressure of the tires of your BMX bike and then remove the wheels.
- The rear derailleur can bend while riding in a plane. That is why experts suggest removing it and packing it separately to avoid it from getting broken.
- Next is you must remove the handlebar and the headset to avoid compromising the wheel balancing.
- Never forget to keep your tool kit inside your bag again after disassembling your BMX bike because you will need it again once you are on your destination and ready to assemble your BMX bike again.
Additional Tips For Flying With Your BMX Bike
Below are my tips for saving some money and transporting your BMX bike in a premium condition. These are from my friends’ tips and others on the internet.
- First, disassemble everything and take your time cleaning and packing your BMX bike parts. If you have an order, it will be easier for you to reassemble your BMX bike.
- Consult a professional biker who already travels on a plane with their BMX bike and listen to their advice. It might be your friend or family member.
- Compare different airlines and their baggage allowance. Choose a flight with the maximum baggage allowance. You can also switch your ticket from economy to first class if the baggage is allowed in excess.
- Look for the bike boxes sale at the airport if your airline has the facility.
- If you don’t know yet how to disassemble your BMX bike, go to your local bike shop for assistance. Ask them how to disassembly your BMX bike or you can go to Youtube to watch a tutorial.
So, can you take your BMX bike on a plane? Yes! You can take your BMX bike on a plane! However, it can be expensive if you don’t know the tips and tricks. It is essential for you to learn how to disassemble your BMX bike so that whenever you go on a vacation and want to bring your BMX bike, you can disassemble it by yourself. So, thanks for reading, and have a nice day!